About us and the History of Lazy F Camp and Our Mission
Lazy F is located deep in the heart of Manastash Canyon. For hundreds of years, Yakima Indians climbed the
ridges above camp to gather roots, berries, and stones for
arrowheads. The word Manastash is derived from the Indian word for
"place to dig".
The land where the camp is located was
ranched by a man names Gus Johnson around 1892. He lived on the
property and raised hay. The land changed hands many times, but it
remained a ranch.
After a long search in eastern Washington for an ideal "dude ranch",
William and Mildred Morris of Seattle purchased the property in
1937. It is supposedly the first dude ranch in the state. Guests
would come to Lazy f for trail rides, rodeos, and ranch meals.
Morris family named the ranch lazy F for their interpretation of the
French words Laissez Faire for "peaceful, quiet, restful place".
The brand for the cattle and horses was an "F" lying on the side
with a crescent moon over the top.
After World War II the Morris family rented the facility to the
government for a place for those in the service to rest and
recuperate after the war.
In 1954 the property (98 acres), facilities, tack equipment, and use
of the "wrangler" was purchased by the United Methodist Church for
$40,000. The original intent was to have a location for children
and youth to come to summer camp to further their Christian faith.
The mission is still a vital aspect of Lazy F, but now all
non-profit groups are invited to visit and enjoy the area all times
of the year.
Currently, lazy F Camp and Retreat Center serves over 6,000 guests
each year and over 28,000 meals. Groups are diverse in nature and
include churches, schools, government agencies, and universities.
Lazy F also sponsors over 25 different programs each year.
Lazy F Camp and Retreat Center is
a ministry of the United Methodist Church. The Camp's mission
is to be a sanctuary of hospitality, renewal, and learning with in
God's natural world that celebrates diversity, inspires love and
service, and fulfills our special partnership with local churches in
the development of Christian disciples and spiritual leader.